Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Free The Hikers: Part III

02.02.2011

I’m writing about the hikers again because, I think, there’s been a misunderstanding about what message I was trying to convey the other day. I wrote that entry very late and after an exhausting day, and I later realized that it may not have made sense.

To start, for anyone who may be new to my blog and who may not have read my very first entry, the “rules” and “point” of my blog may not be clear. While I do get political and express my opinions, it’s always in the context of analyzing our society through the topic of children whether it’s on parenting or education, for example. I also often provide personal experiences to explore whatever issue(s) I’m discussing in a particular entry. I think my entry on the hikers the other day and relating it to my sister may have been doubly confusing without knowing the way I’ve set things up.

What I personally took away from last week’s event at USC with Sarah Shourd is how despite having every reason to be angry and spiteful, I’m to understand that she’s made peace with her interment and continues to fight for her fiancé and friend. Through this dark period in her life, she’s found a way of letting go of the anger and continues to hope and pray for the release of Josh and Shane.

From their mothers’ perspective, I understood that they too hope and pray (and fight), BUT, I would like to draw attention to the fact that the situation and ultimate decision of their sons’ fate is out of their hands. They can scream, turn blue, throw and break things but nothing will change it. They have the power to do exactly what it is they’re doing now but they can’t force Iran’s government to release their sons. Sometimes the most painful decision includes sitting and waiting and accepting that there is a greater power in control (and I mean that literally and spiritually).

It was this sentiment that I was trying to express when I brought up my sister. I acknowledge that it was a weak attempt and, obviously, my family’s plight at the time didn’t involve a family member unjustly detained. But, without getting into specifics, a life was in danger. My mom and I could do nothing to change the situation and we had to sit, wait and accept that there was a greater power in control. For my family, there was a happy ending. I too wish the same ending for Josh and Shane. I also wish that Sarah and Shane can marry one day and start a life together in peace. They most certainly deserve that as does anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment