Friday, February 18, 2011

TV Watching Bad for Babies - Duh!

02.17.2011

When I was a kid, we didn’t own a TV until I was 8 and then the only reason we got one was because my sister’s dad and daughter moved-in with us from Lithuania and my mom felt that it would help them learn English. I hated not having a TV but I only missed it when I was reminded of the fact that we didn’t have one that was, honestly, not often. I would listen to records, play outside alone or with friends, and, I believe, nurtured the neurons that help me be creative.

When I was about 10, my mom instilled a rule that I couldn’t watch TV during the week at all and on the weekends, I was allowed 2 shows on Saturday and 2 shows on Sunday. Oh boy, did I hate that rule and I exploited every opportunity I could find to watch more. And trust me, there were many. Every time I hear the theme to Taxi or Cheers, I’m immediately brought to the late nights at my house where my mom and other adults were partying and she thought I was asleep but I was holed up in a student’s room, on guard at any moment to bolt out of there should my mom come down the hallway. Haha…yes, fun memories.

Now, older and hopefully wiser, I’m so grateful for those rules and plan to instill the same kind of rules should we have kids. I’ve always flinched at the thought of letting babies watch TV and I’m very glad that this article presents data that supports the notion that it’s not a good idea. Interestingly, educational material was shown to have neither a positive or negative effect on babies’ brain development. It was other kinds of shows that caused a developmental delay. Whatever the case may be, I’d rather be safe than sorry. Kids learn their ABCs and numbers when they’re supposed to. A 6-month old shouldn’t be watching Sesame Street because a parent’s convinced that he or she will start speaking by watching it. What’s wrong with letting your child develop naturally? This leads me into a discussion of those parents who scout out schools the minute they learn they’re going to have a baby and start teaching languages, musical instruments, and other things the moment the kid is born. I mean…this stuff makes my head spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment