Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dueling Languages, Minor Victories

12.04.2010

Today I have to brag. For all the lip service I give about teenagers, I was very proud of my kids today. I gave them an assignment a month ago to prepare a debate about whether or not they believe our society values art. They had to prepare both sides because they’d only found out on the day of (today) which side they were arguing. They did such a great job and two actually got into it trying to one-up each other with their supportive arguments.

What makes me so proud is that, well, first you have to understand that to get any kids to speak Lithuanian is nearly impossible because English is the default language and it’s the “cool” language. No one wants to speak Lithuanian. I remember how it was; I was the same way. So these little victories that I have in the classroom where the kids not only speak Lithuanian but argue in Lithuanian means the world to me. They probably won’t remember the day or the moment, but I will. And for what it’s worth, for that split moment in time, they were speaking a different language and having fun. That, as a teacher, is incredibly gratifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment