Friday, December 10, 2010

HypnoBirthing

12.10.2010

HypnoBirthing.[1] Ready for this?

It started in the early 1990s and is gaining ground. Women are turning to hypnotherapy for childbirth as an alternative to medication and helping to minimize pain. Now, because I tend to be unconventional, I’m actually quite interested in this. I believe the mind is a powerful tool and we don’t use it as much as we should. I’m also someone who can become more focused than anyone I know which is why I’m convinced I have an abnormal tolerance for pain. I can see myself digging HypnoBirthing.

The catch? It’s damn expensive. But, now that I think about it, I wonder how much an epidural costs. (checking Google.) Huh, apparently, back in 2007, an epidural cost “roughly” $1,000 with insurance covering about 90%. Good ol’ insurance. You know it wouldn’t cover anything alternative like HypnoBirthing.

There was one item with which I disagreed. The HypnoBirthing founder, Marie Mongan, claims is that doctors force a woman to push. She states in her book, “Pushing can be counterproductive and actually slow down the birthing process.” This doesn’t make sense to me. Every mom I’ve talked to in more detail about childbirth says there’s an urge to push, your body physically wants to push. In fact, I saw on one of those baby shows once where a woman felt the urge to push and the doctor encouraged her not to because her cervix wasn’t ready. So I’m not quite sure what Ms. Mongan means. Other than that, I would be so down to investigate this further.


[1] http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703493504576007512674579874.html?mod=yhoofront It’s very difficult to read the article because of the black background. Hit print and read it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment