Thursday, May 20, 2010

John Mayer's "Daughters"

05.19.2010

I wanted to include the lyrics to John Mayer's "Daughters" for several reasons. One, it's a beautiful song and despite knowing the rumors that he's a bit of a shmuck and a total casanova, it's a very deep song. But, most importantly, I think it really summarizes a lot of what I've been talking about since I started the blog in regards to how much of our actions are transpired on to our kids whether we know it or not. We are examples to our children with how to behave and we are also examples of how we love ourselves and how we love our partners. This is how children learn to view and love the world and this song is a good reminder.

I know a girl/ She puts the color inside of my world / But she's just like a maze / Where all of the walls are continually changed / And I've done all I can / To stand on her steps with my heart in my hands / Now I'm starting to see / Maybe it's got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters / Daughters will love like you do / Girls become lovers who turn into mothers / So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Oh, you see that skin? / It's the same she's been standing in / Since the day she saw him walking away / Now I'm left / Cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters / Daughters will love like you do / Girls become lovers who turn into mothers / So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Boys, you can break / You'll find out how much they can take / Boys will be strong / And boys soldier on / But boys would be gone without the warmth from / A woman’s good, good heart

On behalf of every man / Looking out for every girl / You are the guide and the weight of her world / So fathers, be good to your daughters / Daughters will love like you do / Girls become lovers who turn into mothers / So mothers, be good to your daughters too

No comments:

Post a Comment