Saturday, May 22, 2010

To You, Baby Obsessor

05.21.2010

On my way to my Weight Watchers meeting this morning, I caught a few minutes of the topic of the morning on KBIG and laughed out loud. A woman called in and asked about what she should do now that her best friend is pregnant and completely baby-crazed, unable to discuss anything but her baby or baby-related topics. Another woman called in and said that the pregnant friend needed a new best friend cause if she couldn’t have the support she needed in this friend, then it was time for them to part.

WHAT?!

At this point, the radio personality asked her if it isn’t possible to go overboard. I can’t remember if the woman answered him or if he cut her off but, of course, I screamed the answer to that question in my head:

YES!!

OK, let’s take a step back. I don’t know the history of the caller's best friend. Perhaps she had been trying to get pregnant for years and finally got successful. Maybe she had a Baby Mama situation where she was told she couldn’t get pregnant and miraculously got pregnant. [1] I don’t know and I don’t want to judge. I’d like to, but not knowing the details, I really can’t.

But I’m going to.

Yes, it is very possible to step overboard into baby insanity. This is one of the very reasons I started my blog. When you make your entire life about the baby then what do you have? The child is going to grow up one day and leave the nest. What are you going to have for yourself when that time comes?

We know of a woman who was so baby-obsessed and who was a nightmare to deal with once she got pregnant. There was nothing this woman could talk about other than her pregnancy. She was “tired cause of the babies,” “emotional cause of the babies,” “unable to go food shopping cause of the babies,” “can’t work cause of the babies,” “can’t walk cause of the babies,” – OH MY GOD! And how many times does a woman need to remind people she is pregnant? How many times must the belly be pointed to? This woman got herself into so much debt "because of the babies" that, I believe, she was or is on the verge of bankruptcy and now that her babies are born, she’s terrified of holding them. Yes, you read that correctly. "Terrified of holding them." She has hired a nanny whose job it is to hold and take care of the babies.

There’s nothing wrong with being excited. I don’t begrudge anybody for that – especially if the journey to conceive was a difficult one. But when there is absolutely nothing else you are capable of talking about then, I’m sorry, there's a problem. My humble advice: Get a Life. A Real One. And One That Doesn’t Involve the Baby.


[1] I’m referring to the Tina Fey and Amy Poehler movie Baby Mama that came out in 2008. If you haven’t seen it: See It.

No comments:

Post a Comment