Monday, March 22, 2010

Pregnancy: The Weight Issue

03.17.2010

I wonder how other women feel about the very fact that we’re the one who has to carry a baby for 9 months, gain weight, deal with an even more amount of hormones, and give birth. I understand that there’s no other way around that but it still irks me. Especially the gaining weight part. It’s difficult for me to imagine why some women say they love being pregnant. I see nothing attractive about it. I mean, sure, the ability to grow a life inside of you and actually feel the changes, I would imagine is kinda spectacular, but it’s still not enough to have me jump up and down in joy. I guess maybe something clicks inside of you and that part of you that “doesn’t care” kicks in because you’re totally giving of yourself to let this little being grow. But, it gives me pause.

I’ve had weight issues my entire life. There’s never been a time when it wasn’t in the foreground of my life and I’ve been on some kind of a diet since the age of 9. Since 2003, thanks to the awesomeness of Weight Watchers, I’ve been able to keep most of the weight off but I’m still about 15 lbs over my goal weight (that I reached in 2004 for, like, 2 minutes before I started going up the scale again). I’m slowly creeping down again and I’m absolutely freaking out in my mind about having to gain that weight back. I’ve already talked to a doctor about it and she told me that it’s actually possible to lose weight while pregnant. I also recently learned that for the weight that I’m supposed to be, I should only gain up to 25 lbs. This bit of info actually made me feel a little better because it would bring me to where I am now. If I got pregnant today and gained 25 lbs. it would put me pretty much to where I was when I joined WW and that freaks me out.

People tell me that you have to gain weight for the baby. Well, for someone with my issues, that’s easier said than done. I don’t know how I’m going to reconcile this issue of weight with pregnancy. I really don’t. I see women who are obese or grossly overweight getting pregnant left right and center and it terrifies me. It terrifies me for their health and for what they’re doing their baby. The bad habits that the mother has will transfer over to the child because we are a product of our environment. And given that both Rob and I (and our extended families) have similar issues with food and weight, I just feel like it’s going to constantly be an uphill battle. Just one more issue on my shoulders. How do women (with food/weight issues) handle this?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not dealing with a weight issue, but gaining weight and carrying around a 30lb watermelon in my belly is not going to be a pretty sight. Pregnancy glow? I don't think so. I don't see how anyone can be OK with how their body changes (during and after).

    I have a friend who is significantly overweight. She may be obese. Over the years she has steadily gained more and more. Then she had kid #1, gained even more, did not lose the weight, and is now pregnant with #2. I really, really wish that she had started out with a healthy weight and lifestyle before even having kids. I do worry for her health. At least you, Vejune, acknowledge and are aware of the food/weight issues ahead of you. My friend, unfortunately, does not.

    ReplyDelete