Saturday, June 12, 2010

Unhealthy Toxins in Your Home

06.12.2010

I have wanted to write about this topic for a while but I had to do a bit of research to compile my data. I found out about something called “VOC” some years back and I feel this is a good forum to write about it.

VOC stands for “volatile organic compound” and it “refers to organic chemical compounds which have significant vapor pressures and which can affect the environment and human health. VOCs are numerous, varied and ubiquitous. Although VOCs include both man-made and naturally occurring chemical compounds, it is the anthropogenic VOCs that are regulated, especially for indoors where concentrations can be highest. VOCs are typically not acutely toxic but have chronic affects.”[1]

I discovered that paint has an enormous amount of toxins and the affects of inhaling these toxins are horrendous. The air inside our homes is more polluted that the outdoor air (according to the EPA) and is considered to be one of the top 5 hazards to human health.[2]

One of the biggest toxic agents in paint is “ethylene glycol.” This is “a solvent used in latex paints [and] is listed as a hazardous substance and a toxic air contaminant under many federal and state regulations. A clear, colorless, odorless liquid, ethylene glycol and its vapor can be toxic to humans. Exposure may cause irritation to the skin, eyes, nose, throat and lungs, and allergic reactions are possible. Overexposure could lead to nausea, vomiting, drowsiness, coma, and respiratory failure. Repeated overexposure can permanently damage the kidneys. Among major latex paint brand, the full line of Dunn-Edwards paints is ethylene glycol-free.”[3]

See my second footnote to link to a site that includes a list of alternative paint companies that you can buy from that have low VOCs in their product or none at all. Last year, I bought paint made by The Fresh Air Choice (no VOCs) at Home Depot and am very pleased with the product. The only downside is that it is more expensive and you can only purchase the paint in gallons (at least as of spring ’09). I was a bit peeved at this cause I only needed a little bit of paint for my kitchen but the desire to try out the paint AND have low-VOCs in an area where I’m constantly cooking ended up overshadowing the price. And I’ve gotten several comments on the color (it’s a pale yellow) and how it looks.

I know the higher price is a deterrent for most people but take into consideration the long-term affects of inhaling toxins. You can spend a little more money now but know that you’re limiting the toxins you bring into your home or you can spend that money later when you’re older on medical care. I think especially where little kids are concerned (and if you’re getting a nursery ready, take heed!) you’d want to start them right as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment