Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Toddler Communicates

06.09.2010

While at my job today, my boss’ 1 1/2 – year old granddaughter came for a visit and while she, the granddaughter, was going on her routine walk around the house, she and her mom and her mom’s friend stopped by the office where I work to say hi. While the little girl’s mom momentarily talked with her friend, the little girl came up to me and pointed to a doll that was nearby. She knew that the doll was mechanical and, using non-verbal communication, told me she wanted me to wind it up. When the doll finished “playing” its guitar, the little girl took my hand and placed it on the wind-up knob because she wanted to watch it move again. Without any words, she told me what she wanted me to do and, luckily, I have the savviness to speak 1.5-year old.

I find the first 5 years of a child’s growth to be fascinating. Even though I grumble about not wanting a newborn and a toddler – and have even said that I wish I could just start with our own 5-year old so I wouldn’t have to do everything for the child – this is precisely the age I don’t want to take part of that I find the most interesting. (Explain that dichotomy to me.)

Anyway, I got the doll to play again and then the little girl decided that she wanted to hold it. So she flashed me cute smile, took the doll and started jamming out of the room like a prisoner breaking out of jail. It was quite funny. Her mom had to go running after her and then explain that the doll had to stay with me but that they could continue on their journey around the house looking for grandma. This seemed to satisfy her.

It has always amazed me how you can totally communicate with a little child who can’t even put two or three words together yet. But each side understands each other (for the most part) and a “dialogue” can take place. The human mind is truly a wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment