Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Perfecting the Perfect (Illusions)

06.22.2010

My sister sent me this video the other day and I want to post it up because I think its message is incredibly important – especially for girls and women.

I consider one of my best friends and me to be some of the worst offenders in the self-hate department. We’ve been friends since high school and I can’t tell you how many conversations we’ve had while growing up about how much we hated ourselves and how much we wished we looked like the models and actresses we saw. It’s disheartening to have to look in the mirror and see a reflection of flaws when you see nothing of the sort in movies, TV or magazines. It’s only when you’re older and more mature that you start to realize how that business works and, hopefully, it becomes easier to remind yourself that it’s not real. But I can’t say that I don’t have my moments…

I hope that mothers who have daughters especially take note of the message of this video because, at the end of the day, it’s your voice and support of who they are that is going to be needed desperately as a weapon to fight against the conflicting images and messages that are blasted across the pages and screens. (This, of course, goes for boys too with an emphasis on the father’s voice.)[1]


No comments:

Post a Comment