Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jillian Michaels: Pregnancy Comment

04.26.2010

I got really angry to find out that Jillian Michaels, formerly on The Biggest Loser and now a weight trainer, got criticized for making a comment about not wanting to ever be pregnant for what it will do to her body. She apparently is so obsessed with health and the image of her body that she doesn’t want to become pregnant because of how it will alter her body and so she plans to adopt instead.

Psychologists attacked her, among others, for putting the idea in women’s minds that it’s bad to be pregnant and blah-blah-blah and they’re afraid her comment is going to give women the wrong idea about pregnancy.

Oh, my…first of all, I totally know where she’s coming from. Having struggled with weight my entire life, I’m gonna have to work quadrupally hard to take off the excess weight I will gain from being pregnant. It’s very difficult looking at women that I know are naturally skinny, go through multiple pregnancies never looking like they’ve gained more than 10 lbs. and then end up looking BETTER post-pregnancy than they did before.

I mean, seriously, how the hell is that humanly possible? It's very difficult to remind myself that we're all different. I have to tap into very deeply hidden parts of me to keep the zen on.

So, I get what Jillian Michaels is saying and anyone who criticizes her for that comment doesn’t have a weight problem.

But more than anything, can we please focus on the fact that she wants to adopt? Why can’t we bring the spotlight to THAT? Not everyone needs to be pregnant and I know of thousands, millions even, of children who need good, loving homes. Everyone’s afraid of adoption because “you don’t know what you’re gonna get.”

Please. Do you really know “what” you’re gonna get with your own biological child? No, really, do you? Everything’s a gamble and nothing is definitive. If you’re able to provide a loving home and have the finances (mind you, adoption is the ONLY time when the finances of a family are considered; interesting, huh?) and you have the space in your home…why not?

1 comment:

  1. PPE Personal Protective Equipment : PAPR or N95 Respirator. If a NIOSH-certified PAPR and a NIOSH-certified fit-tested disposable N95 respirator is used in facility protocols, ensure compliance with all elements of the OSHA Respiratory Protection Standard, 29 CFR 1910.134, including fit testing, medical evaluation, and training of the healthcare worker. 

    ReplyDelete