Thursday, April 29, 2010

Laughter Is Truly Medicine

04.27.2010

My sister and I helped out my good friend who runs Writers Bloc Presents at an event tonight with Carol Burnett and Tim Conway. My sister told me of an incredible story that a woman told her that really touched both of our hearts and I wanted to share.

This older woman’s mother is in the last stages of Alzheimer’s but whenever she and her sister put on a Carol Burnett album, their mother returns to them, even if it’s for a few moments, and the three of them can be present together in the room laughing at the jokes Carol Burnett says just like old times when they’d watch her show on TV. And every time that happens, this woman and her sister cherish these moments as if they were pieces of gold…

This touched me so much because it reminds me that it doesn’t matter who you are, in the end, we’re all going to die in some way and what’s most important is having our family with us in whatever way possible. That, and any memories we have and share, is what will pull us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment