Thursday, April 22, 2010

Public vs. Private: An Education

04.20.2010

Continuing with my education topic for the week, I’ll briefly talk about the issue of a public education vs. a private one. Here’s a funny side note on this very topic. About 2 years ago, I came across this list of questions for couples to discuss with each other in an attempt to get closer. As I’m always trying to find ways to keep open Rob’s and my communication, I jumped at this opportunity. The questions were ones like, how you view money, what do you personally wish to achieve in the next 5 years, what’s your view on religion, spirituality, etc. I made a nice dinner for us, had a bottle of wine, and we’re great company (for each other)! What could go wrong? The question that Rob and I got into a knock down, drag out argument over was the one about what kind of an education we would want for our children. It became a public school vs. private school debate as he’s a product of public school and I’m a product of private school.

He felt that I was critical of the education he got and couldn’t understand why I, the one who is most vocal about the hypocritical nature of the Catholic Church, would want to send my kids to a private, religious institution.

My argument wasn’t about what kind of a religious institution the kids would go to. Cause I don’t really care. Rob was raised Lutheran and so I’m perfectly OK with them going to a Lutheran school. One of the biggest reasons for me has to do with uniforms, silly as that may sound. It is only recently that people are finding that when kids, especially high school students, are in uniform, the behavioral problems decrease significantly. Students become more focused and are less inclined to dwell on brand competition. If public schools had uniforms, I’d most likely change my tune. I ask, what is the first change implemented in a public school when the State takes it over? Uniforms are brought in and test scores go up. The scores may not go up dramatically within that first year but, let’s face it, they go up. But it’s the changes in the needed disciplinary actions that significantly decrease once uniforms are implemented.

There’s also something to be said for when you (directly) pay for an education. You can have more of a direct say with how it’s being handled. With public schools, you may complain to the principal, but because of bureaucracy you’re going to be knocking your head up against a brick wall much sooner than you would in a private school.

Having said that, I have a thing or two to say about private schools too. I attended them most of my life and worked for 2 years as a teacher in private schools. There are definite drawbacks (like the stupid rule: no co-ed parties in junior high. Really? Cause what I do at home is not a part of the school’s jurisdiction). In the end, whether we send the kids to a public or private school (and I haven’t even discussed tuition here), I already know that I’m going to be my child’s school’s worst nightmare because I know exactly what to look for (textbook publication dates, extra curricular activity availability, homework assignments, e.g.) and, most importantly, how many new teachers the school has and what is the turnover rate.

If you’re gonna do it (be a parent), then, well…do it right. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment