Sunday, April 18, 2010

Public Letter to Kate Gosselin

04.17.2010

Dear Kate Gosselin:

I know that you don’t know me and that my piddly opinion means nothing to you. But, in the spirit of my blog, as it is about society and children, I feel compelled to get something off of my chest.

Please stop saying that the decisions you make are because of your children. It’s very clear to the world that all you think about is yourself. If you truly were thinking about your children, you’d be back in PA being a mom. But, let’s face it. You got a taste of fame and money and you’re not going to give that up for anyone or anything. It’s convenient for you to use your children (yet again, I might add) so that you can convince yourself that you are somehow actually doing it all for your kids. The mind is a funny thing sometimes.

One of the most important pieces of information that I learned in a child psychology class is that every decision, every move, every action parents make is a lesson to their children. And the lesson that you are teaching to your children is that you value fame and money more than you value them (and I won't even get into how your control issues are damaging their self-image and any future relationships, especially for your boys). The material items that you have gained by selling out your family has cost you your marriage and will forever alter the self-image your children will have. By the marriage falling apart and by you jet-setting all over the country, you are abandoning them and, honey, I can tell you a thing or two about how that feels and how you, as the child, spend a huge chunk of your life trying to understand why a parent couldn’t just be a parent and be there for you. Your selfishness to see your face on magazines, on TV and everywhere else will come back to haunt you when your kids are older…especially in your daughter Maddy.

It’s people like you that bring children into the world without realistically thinking about the consequences of your actions. I feel sorry for you but I mostly feel sorry for your children. They have yet to realize what a soulless mother they have but when they do, they will make some therapists quite wealthy. Congratulations!

No comments:

Post a Comment