Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

10.31.2010

I was very happy to volunteer at the Heritage Square Museum today passing out candy to trick-or-treaters. For someone who’s so damn unsure about having kids, I sure to a lot with and for kids. Sigh… But, I love it.

There was an incident that made me shake my head at parents. A very pregnant mother came in with her daughter of about 2-years old who immediately recognized that a friend was there (same age). The two started to play and and the mother decided to take out her phone/camera. She starts taking photos when her kid has a huge sneeze that produced a runny snot. The other little girl’s mother didn’t have a Kleenex and asked sneezy girl’s mom if she had one but that mom just kept fiddling around with her phone doing whatever. The other mom and I momentarily made eye contact (and I’m sure the same thought was going through our minds) as sneezy girl started to take her friend’s toy away which, as you can imagine, didn’t make the 1st girl too happy. I wanted to yell out to the mom, “Will you wipe your kid’s snot already? I know it’s Halloween, but no one wants to look at this.”

My favorite two costumes belonged to a boy and girl also of about 2-years old. The little girl was dressed up as Raggedy Ann and she was so darn cute that I just wanted to pick her up and tickle her silly. But that probably would’ve looked weird.

The little boy’s costume was a monkey with a curly tail and a banana coming out of a pocket. At one point his dad was filming him and the little boy kept walking up and down the pathway giggling up a storm. I watched the scene somewhat jealous to not be a part of that kind of magic. Later, this little boy made me realize an aspect of children I haven’t really explored on my blog yet. But I need to meditate on the thought a little.

Overall, a very nice Halloween and I hope that those of you with kids had a nice one as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment