Sunday, October 10, 2010

Siblings, Jesus and a Funeral

10.10.2010

Attended a funeral yesterday of my mom’s really good friend… I sat in church with my sister and waves of tears would come over fueled by memories of this friend and my mom. She (my mom) moved two years ago to Eastern Europe putting an even deeper schism in what was left of my family. I know that Rob is my nuclear family now but sometimes, it would be nice to have the entirety of my former nuclear family nearby.

While we waited in line at the funeral to hug the friend’s sister, my sister turned to me and said, “You better live forever” to which I promptly responded, “Uh-duh. The same goes for you. And it’s promise we must fulfill because we’ve said it in front of Jesus.” We both chuckled, eyes welling up.

With my mom so far away and the opportunities to see her being so few and far in between, I feel even more lucky to have my sister with me. It then got me thinking again about the pluses of having a sibling. It’s apparently not enough for me to sit on a teeter-totter on the issue of whether or not we should have one child that there is also the issue of if you do have a child, do you only have one?

Great. I’ll have to start another blog. Sigh…

No comments:

Post a Comment