Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vejune, Age 9 Meets Vejune, Age 19

07.21.2010

For my amazing writers group/class, we had to complete a homework assignment which is called a “quick write” where we have 15 minutes to write on a topic/scenario, etc. I want to share this week’s assignment that I read tonight to a group for which I got a warm response. One of my weaknesses as a writer is dialogue and I got compliments on my 9-year old's dialogue today so I’m taking the liberty to brag.

The topic was “Child/Adult Self” and we had to pick an age from our past, pick 5 characteristics of ourselves at that age and then time travel forward 10, 20, 30, etc years into the future, pick another age and write 5 characteristics of ourselves at that age. We then had to pick a location (setting) and construct a dialogue between our younger and older self.

Remember, it’s a quick write, I had 15 minutes to do it and it’s not meant to be edited. It’s just a way to get your brain to “warm up.”

Child/Adult Self

Vejune – age 9: full of life, eager (inquisitive), thoughtful, creative spirit, happy

Vejune – age 19: depressed, lonely, dark, cold heart, isolated

Location: Children’s Museum

Vejune, age 9: I can’t wait to go to the newsroom. I want to be the Anchorman.

Vejune, age 19: It’s “Anchorwoman.” You’re not a man.

V, 9: I hope there isn’t a line today. What do you want to see today?

V, 19: Nothing.

V, 9: Come on! This is exciting. What should I talk about? You know they tape you just

like in a real newsroom.

V, 19: What does it matter?

V, 9: Are you mad?

V, 19: No, why?

V, 9: Hey, I know! I can interview you!

V, 19: Why would you do that? I have nothing interesting to say.

V, 9: Yes, you do! Come on! Come on, let’s go!

They reach the Newsroom Play Area. A child sits in the Anchorman’s spot.

V, 9: We have to wait.

v, 19: I don’t think he’s doing anything. Just ask him to move.

V, 9: I can’t do that. He was here first.

V, 19: Suit yourself.

V, 9: What should I interview you about? Do you read Nancy Drew?

V, 19: I used to. I loved all those mysteries.

V, 9: (laughs) I did it!

V, 19: Did what?

V, 9: I made you smile!

V, 19: No, you didn’t.

V, 9: Did you like the Hardy Boys too?

No answer.

V, 9: Answer me.

V, 19: Yes, I did.

V, 9: You don’t read them anymore?

V, 19: Do you ever stop asking questions?

V, 9: Uh-uh.

V, 19: I read serious stuff now. Politics, history, literature. Grown up stuff.

V, 9: Is that why you’re so sad?

V, 19: I don’t think so.

V, 9: Do you write down your feelings? I write in a diary and talk about all my

secrets. Sometimes I even write about how angry mom makes me. I hope

she never reads it. But she does nice things for me too. So I write about

that too. What’s your favorite color?

V, 19: Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment