Saturday, July 10, 2010

Trading the Party Life for an Old Woman Life

07.09.2010

At what point did the change happen? I asked myself. This question was prompted because of the new neighbors who moved in on the 3rd floor about a week ago. I remember taking one look at them and knew there’d be trouble. And by trouble, I mean parties. The guys are in their early 20s and most likely have yuppie, high-paying jobs because that’s the only “kind” that can afford to live on the Westside. I am a yuppie by proxy because I live on the Westside and anything outside of the vicinity of where I live is considered to be “far” and “over there,” but hey, I admit it. The only reason I can live where I live is because I’ve been in the same apt. for 27 years and I (we) reap the benefits of rent control. Any landowner’s/ apt. building owner’s nightmare, I know.

When my mom moved out 11 years ago, I was throwing a party about once a month. There didn’t even have to be n excuse; I just threw a party to throw it. I had no money, but hey that’s what credit cards were for, right? For as financially responsible as I usually was (and am) once in a while I would do something where only later I questioned where that responsibility went for on vacation.

So tonight, for the 2nd Friday in a row, the guys had people over and had their soiree on their patio creating an echoe. I was annoyed because it was already after 11 pm and I could hear them (once upon a time I was just getting started at that time). I wanted to be mad but then I told myself that my neighbors put up with me while I went through my party stage.

I tried to figure out when I grew out of that “party stage” and went into “old woman stage.” The fact that I have difficulty staying up past 10 pm – and if I do I’m cranky – worries me because, with a newborn, you’re up every 2 hours. And, from what I hear, you basically give up sleep for the first many years of the child’s life. I love sleep. I’ve always loved sleep. One of my mom’s favorite stories about me is that she’d have to wake me up when I was a baby because I would just sleep all day. And, to make matters worse, I hear that the older you get the quicker you get tired with kids because you just don’t have the same energy that you do when in your 20s.

I don’t know…everyone says it’s different when you have your own kids. You don’t mind being tired or doing the extra work around the house. I guess I do what I need to do when I’m tired in order to take care of the cats. Sometimes abiding by a strict medicine/feeding schedule gets cumbersome but I do it because I love him and I know it helps keep him alive and well.

Everything in perspective, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment