Friday, August 27, 2010

The Fabric Store Experience

08.26.2010

While at the fabric store yesterday, I watched a mother with her daughter (of about 8 or 9) get fabric cut for them for what looked like a costume. I can’t imagine it’d be for Halloween already but, hell, Christmas decorations have been out in some stores since last month, so why not?

As I observed the mother gently and playfully speak with her daughter about making the costume, it made me, for that moment in time, want to have a daughter too. There’s no way I’d be able to make a costume for her like my mom used to make for us or like what that mother was describing, but I can pretend.

It wasn’t that that she made parenting out to look like it was just good times. But her daughter was old enough with whom she could have a conversation and make plans, and do things together. And I wanted that kind of a moment too. But such moments come with a large trade-off and it’s that particular trade-off that complicates things for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment