Friday, August 20, 2010

Finding My Sexy With A...What?

08.20.2010

My cold won’t go away. I thought it did, but it’s a sly one. Now, it’s in my sinus cavity. And because I always try alternative treatments first, I search “alternative sinus treatments” and find five suggestions:

1) A homemade saline solution to use with a nasal aspirator (is this what I think it is?)

2) Drink chamomile and peppermint tea (check, already do that)

3) Inhale steam (fabulous, I can work on my pores too)

4) Eat a lot of garlic; it’s a natural antibiotic (no problem)

5) Take Echinacea (double the no problem)

My biggest fear is the nasal aspirator. I go to Rite Aid and find it in the newborn section. I’m thrilled to pieces that the very first baby product that I purchase for the house is something I need to put up my nose. Thanks, cold.

I then get to the steam. Wow, I forgot how awesome this is. Of course, one should remember that inserting your face into a pot of steam could burn your face off.

After 9 minutes of inhaling steam, I look in the mirror and relish the sexiness that is reflected back. Boy, am I glad Rob isn’t home. Yes, he loves me whatever the look but I am now a firm believer that some looks should be just between the mirror and me.

Then, the thought crosses my mind: baby. I cringe.

See, Rob and I often debate alternative treatments vs. western treatments. I recognize that had our child had my cold, I don’t know how acceptable it would be to feed him/her garlic and have him/her inhale steam. (Can you even feed a baby/young child garlic?)

I already know that this is going to be a dicey issue should we have a kid. And because it’s so explosive, I think we both avoid talking about it when discussing kids. At least, I know that I do.

But when the occasion comes to finally discuss our positions, I know that I’ll need to come prepared. Any good wine recommendations? I tend to like an oak-y chardonnay or merlot.

No comments:

Post a Comment