Monday, August 2, 2010

I Just Can't See It That Way

08.02.2010

I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before but one of my personal challenges is my weight. I’ve been doing Weight Watchers since 2003 and I met my goal weight in January of 2005 and remained at that goal for about 5 minutes. Since then I’ve been creeping up and after last week, I’m the heaviest I’ve been since 2004 although I'm still far from where I was when I first walked through those doors to join. To spin this into a positive, it has been 6 years since I’ve been this weight and that’s what I should focus on. But I’m human and I’m me. So I won’t.

I’m so tired of weight being a problem. I’m so tired of having to write down what I eat. I’m so tired of having to portion control. I’m so tired of forcing myself to make the right decision when all I want is a chocolate chip cookie. I’m so tired of the daily emotional battle that in of itself can physically fatigue me. I’m so tired of not being able to fit into my clothes. I’m so tired of hating myself. I’m just. So. Tired.

Most people think I’m crazy when I tell them I’m petrified of gaining weight during pregnancy. The response is “But it’s a baby growing inside of you.” “Yes,” I tell them. “But all my brain registers is that the number on the scale is going up.” Food addiction, like any kind of an addiction, is a curse that never goes away. You can curb it, but its shadow is always nearby reminding you of its hooks in you.

So today I found an article that breaks down the weight gain and why there even is weight gain. I’m not saying I’m necessarily comfortable with the information but I’m putting it together so that if anyone else has the same problem, we can refer to the article and/or the list and (at least try to) convince ourselves that it’s all going to be OK and that it is possible to lose the gained weight. Even if it means having to lose it again.[1]

If baby weighs in at 7-8 lbs, here’s what accounts for the rest of a pregnancy's weight gain:

  • Baby = 7-8 lbs
  • Larger breasts = 1-3 lbs.
  • Larger uterus = 2 lbs.
  • Placenta = 1.5 lbs.
  • Amniotic Fluid = 2 lbs.
  • Increased blood volume = 3-4 lbs.
  • Increased fluid volume = 3-4 lbs.
  • Fat stores = 6-8 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment