Monday, August 2, 2010

Warning: This Isn't Organic

07.31.2010

When it comes to food, I know that I can come across as a snob to some (or most, who knows). I try to not ingest pesticides or hormones and I’m willing to spend more money on organic food, mainly produce.

But despite trying to live by a certain standard, I’m also acutely aware that the rest of the world doesn’t necessarily function by those same standards. Knowing this, I feel that it’s important to be flexible. If I go to a party and there’s no organic produce…I won’t be throwing a fit. I’ll graciously eat what’s given. (Hell, I love food. Hello!) Although I won’t compromise on red meat even if it’s organic or free range.

Anyway, I overheard a conversation between a mother and her child today who warned him that some of the food offered at the party was not organic. She still let the child eat the food but I thought it was an unnecessary comment. In the realm of your own four walls, do what you will. But when you’re a guest at someone’s house, back off. I think it’s a bad lesson to be teaching to the kid(s) as well. I mean, I often think about how I don’t want any kid of ours eating McDonald’s or any other fast food. But I can’t control what he/she will eat when I’m not around. All I can hope for is that I’ve instilled a compass strong enough within him/her to guide him/her in making the right choices, but that’s all. The first priority, for me, is being a gracious guest when someone’s prepared food for me and that’s what the parent should’ve been teaching to her child. You don’t have to eat everything provided but you don’t have to be snooty about it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment