Monday, August 2, 2010

We're Lucky, So What's Wrong?

08.01.2010

We spent the day at Rob’s parents’ house today and I had such a great afternoon hanging out at their place. The whole family was there and I consider myself to be very lucky to get along with his brother and parents. They’re good people.

On the way home, I was thinking about how lucky we’d be to have a child or children with the kind of support network we have in them. And that prompted me to think of why is it that we’re so lucky to have a lot of our ducks in a row and yet, we’re still hesitating on taking that step. I know of plenty of people – especially teens – who just dive into the pool and worry about the temperature later. I’m the one who has to dip in one toe at a time.

There’s certainly a plus to being so cautious but the negative to it is that we will have spent so much of our time at the sidelines hemming and hawing over this issue. One of the most touching lines in the movie Away We Go is the scene where Burt’s friend tells him of his wife’s fifth miscarriage and he says something to the effect of “We wonder why it’s so hard for us when we wait to have children in our 30s and then we’re surprised that it doesn’t happen only to sit by and watch teen girls have baby after baby.”

…I’ve recently been fortunate enough to get answers to some issues that I’ve been struggling with for a while…I can only hope that I’m somehow closer to an answer with this. Even if I don’t see it yet…

No comments:

Post a Comment