Friday, September 17, 2010

Child Sex Trafficking

09.15.2010

I have to admit that today is actually the 17th. My schedule the past few days hasn’t allowed me to be home 12-15 hours per day but, I knew on this day’s morning while at the gym, that I wanted to respond to a report on CNN that I saw about Craigslist.

I knew that adult services were advertised on Craigslist and though I may not like it, as long as adults are willingly and knowingly engaging in these services, I don’t have enough of a problem to be enraged. (I have my opinions about prostitution and the issues it brings up but this isn’t the time or place.) What I do have a problem with is Craigslist allowing for advertising for child trafficking. This is unforgivable.

CNN reported on a woman whose 12-year old girl was abducted in April on her way to school and by sheer chance and conversation with friends, neighbors and authority, she found her daughter on Craigslist, in a wig and a compromised position being sold for sex. And there was nothing she could do other than call the authorities and try to nail the pimp. Luckily, they did but it took months. Even though mother and daughter are reunited, the damage is done. This girl will be in therapy for the rest of her life.

I can’t even begin to explain how angry this makes me. And it’s not just the child trafficking; let’s put that aside for a moment. Where the hell do Craiglslist’s execs get off by allowing for this kind of advertising to take place? Where the fuck are their morals? Has money become that much of a priority, that much of a necessity to allow for little girls to be advertised for sex? How does whoever green lit those ads sleep at night? How do those execs go home to their families and be proud of the decisions they made that day? How can they look into any child’s eyes, much less their own if they have them, and feel good about knowing that they allowed for someone’s daughter to be exposed publicly and sold so that some disgusting, poor excuse for a human being can make money?

We pay for this, people. We all pay for this because that girl’s essence is ruined and if she doesn’t get proper help, she will turn to a life of drugs and maybe even go back to prostitution because that’s what she’s told she’s worthy of. If she does get proper help and pulls through, think about all the other girls who don’t and turn to a life of crime and/or drugs. These decisions affect us societally, financially, and environmentally, and it turns my stomach.

p.s. Here’s some more info on this topic: http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/node/14087

No comments:

Post a Comment