Saturday, September 11, 2010

Teens Don't Have to Be Aliens.

09.11.2010

Today was the first day of Lithuanian school, and I decided before summer to go back and teach because after a year’s break, I missed the routine (even though every Saturday morning as I rush to get out the door I ask myself, “Why am I doing this?” Although I use more colorful language.) But most importantly, I wanted to go back because I’m realizing with each year that I’m losing more of the language.

I’m teaching 8th graders and I’m at the point where I chuckle to myself each time I tell someone because the commons response is, “Ugh, how can you do that?” When I taught full-time, I taught junior high and absolutely loved it but, at Lithuanian school, I always taught 4th graders because I didn’t trust my language skills to be able to communicate appropriately especially if there would be disciplinary issues.

Anyway, I couldn’t be happier with my decision and am thrilled to pieces to be working with the group of kids that I have this year (whom I had as 4th graders). The thing that people forget about teens is that if you reason with them, if you put yourself out there to see them eye-to-eye, they will return the respect. Think about it. What do teens want? They want to be heard and understood and if you provide that kind of an environment for them, they will work for you. As long as they know that they are safe and there is no judgment, they will open up and it’s precisely that opportunity that I like to provide for them. Teens are just awakening to the world around them and are learning to experience so many different emotions that I relish in being able to help guide them into helping them find their identity.

And a little thing I learned about myself today…to trust myself more and to give myself a bit more credit than I do. I even had the boys raising their hands and willingly participating in class discussion…in Lithuanian! That’s pretty damn good, if I may say so myself. It almost makes me want to have a teenager…

…I said almost

No comments:

Post a Comment