Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Favorite Childhood Books

09.20.2010

I’ve been thinking about my two favorite books when I was little. They are incredibly dear to me and I still have the original copies given to me, though I can’t remember by whom. What’s strange, is looking at the books, not only do memories flood me but, I step outside of myself momentarily, and it’s uncanny how much each describes me to a tee. No wonder they were my favorite books and no wonder they are of the few that I chose to keep after 20 years.

I purposefully won’t tell you what each book is about (you have to trust me) because it's my way of insisting that even if you don’t have kids to find a copy of each and read them. Especially the first one…and I challenge you to not have tears in your eyes…

Higglety Pigglety Pop! or There Must Be More To Life by Maurice Sendak (Harper & Row Publishers, 1967)

The Great Menagerie – An Adaptation of the Antique Pop-Up Book (No author; Published in 1979 by The Metropolitan Museum of Art but originally published by J. F. Schreiber of Esslingen, Germany in the 19th Century)

No comments:

Post a Comment