Friday, September 17, 2010

Schools Kill Creativity

09.17.2010

I long ago came to the conclusion that society stifles creativity and, as we get older, sucks it dry so that by the time we reach the age of 18, we’re conditioned to think that only the math and sciences = good and that the arts = bad.

If the world were run by the likes of Vejune, I’d make those in college follow one of these two formats:

  1. Pick a major in the sciences or business
  2. Pick a minor in the arts

Or

  1. Pick a major in the arts
  2. Pick a minor in the sciences or business

I don’t think enough people with a job-guaranteed major like pre-med have a balanced background in the creative arts just like I don’t think those who major in the arts think about their financial future and take enough classes in economics, marketing, or business.

In the following video, Sir Ken Robinson speaks much more eloquently on this topic than I ever could and even though it is 20 minutes long, I highly encourage taking the time to listen to what he has to say. He’s funny, engaging and makes a whole helluva lot of sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment