Tuesday, September 28, 2010

If You Dream It, Will They Come?

09.27.2010

I had a strange and disturbing dream last night which isn’t unusual as my mind almost never lets up. The strange part of the dream was that I dreamt of two women who, at one point, were in my life though they did not know each other at all. The disturbing part was that one of the two is from a distant past and whenever I dream of people from my past, I get bad news within 3-5 days. I don’t read dreams or believe in fortune telling but over the years I’ve noticed this pattern that’s accurate about 85% of the time.

One of the women was my former friend who’s mother just passed away a few weeks ago and the other woman was a classmate of mine from high school who passed away herself 4 years ago after a two-year battle with cancer. They were sitting at a round table in a field and the day was incredibly bright and sunny. I think I remember some trees in the background but other than that, no shade to be found anywhere. They were sitting at this table talking about their kids.

Now, my friend whose mother passed away has 2 little boys. My former classmate had no children. But, in my dream, I clearly remember her talking about her son. The two women were so happy to bet there, to be talking and to be sharing stories about their kids.

I woke up just as my classmate got up, laughing, to go find her son who was playing somewhere nearby. I’m usually pretty good at figuring out the symbolism in my dreams or making the connections between my dream-state and consciousness and why I would’ve dreamt what I dreamt. But in this case, I have no clue what any of it means other than the chance of getting bad news in the next few days. Whatever it is, this was one of those dreams that lingered around all day somewhat haunting me. I don’t think I’ve ever dreamt of two people that I knew but who didn’t know each other spending time together, and so joyously at that. In addition, the focus of their conversation was interesting, as well, and I wasn’t even a part of it. It was as if I was eavesdropping on (or even filming) the event and experiencing their joy from the sideline. I woke up slightly confused and it’s dreams like those that I wish we knew more about the state of dreaming, the why’s and the how’s. Perhaps it would more clearly help with any kind of decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment