Wednesday, November 24, 2010

TV and Little Kids

11.24.2010

I’m curious what parents think about TV in general and “educational” television. We didn’t own a TV until I was 8-years old and then it was only because my sister’s dad and stepsister moved to the US from Lithuania and my mom felt a TV would help them learn English (which it did). But I didn’t grow up watching Sesame Street or any cartoons, though I don’t know how many educational cartoons there were back in the ‘70s and ‘80s. When I visited a friend last year who had a 3-year old at the time, we’d watch the Disney channel and I thought I'd shoot myself if I had to listen to one more high-pitched sing-a-along.

How do today’s parents deal with TV when the kids are little because I know it’s easy to prop them in front of the tube for free babysitting. What gets approved for “educational” purposes, what is used for “babysitting,” and what is used for “the hell of it,” if anything?

I’m quite against little kids watching TV…but I understand that that’s easy for me to say. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment