Thursday, November 4, 2010

You're Damned If You Do And You're Damned If You Don't

11.04.2010

I read an article today with Cher who said that her two kids were resentful of her choosing her career over them when they were younger which then prompted me to sarcastically think, “Well, that’s great.” She said her eldest is pretty much over it but her son still harbors resentment. I certainly have my own issues with my mom not being around. So what’s the point? I mean, you try your best as a parent but then we selfish kids want nothing but our parents’ time and dedication while psychologists and others are saying that parents need to take time for themselves and each other. So whatever you do, you’re going to screw up your kids, right?

Makes me think of Susan Sarandon’s response to the question of how was she able to raise kids and work successfully in the entertainment industry. “You do your best and after years of therapy, you hope they forgive you.”

I don’t have kids and that immediately became my mantra. I guess that it’s true, though. Parents can’t be there for you every time all the time. And part of growing up is accepting that and learning from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment